Friday, July 13, 2012

"Trying to live the image of the life which you have in your head ... it’s really hard not to do that, but I do think maybe it’s cheating.... Cheating life. Cheating yourself out of a real engagement with life, which involves surprise, not just you moving through your environment with this pre-determined idea of what you intend to do with it and how it should react to you. It’s like thinking you’ve been put on this earth to master life and make it submit." 


- Sheila Heti for the Paris Review 

1 comment:

  1. Words we can live by about fearlessness: "My mother always said that fear is not an option. When i was eight years old she put me on a train from Brussels to Paris on my own. I was very afraid, but I was also proud to arrive safely to my destination. My mother was a Holocaust survivor, and when she was freed from the concentration camp by Russians in 1945, she weighed forty-nine pounds. It took me a very long time to realize the enormity of what she had been through and of my heritage -- and the way she had been able to turn such pain into something positive. I grew up with a legacy that life is a miracle and that I'm the daughter of a survivor, not a victim. So when I'm in pain or fear, I look through it for the light and the fearlessness." - Diane von Furstenberg

    ReplyDelete